If you are interested in computers and want express your creativity, a career in the graphic design field may be perfect for you.
As the world is becoming so technologically advanced, computer skills are important to have. Being a graphic designer takes more than computer skills. Through graphic design courses you will learn programs and techniques needed to complete projects and obtain the skills needed for a job in graphic design. Graphic design majors can get jobs after they graduate in any graphic design, advertising, or illustrating, and as art directors, web designers, and creative directors.
With a career like graphic design, you can work from home as a freelance graphic designer. There are many freelance websites in need of people to do graphic design projects. Graphic design is an in demand field as more and more businesses are created or want to update their website or advertisements. They pay fairly well and most jobs only require an Associate’s degree or years of experience.
Typical Graphic Design Courses
- Photoshop- In this course students learn techniques to edit photos and create crisp, clear images suitable for any design or advertising project.
- Typography- This course involves how to use words in design and describes the different classifications of typography.
- Logotype Design- While in this class, students learn how to make logos, which are popular because logos are the first things you see at the top of websites with the company name and picture.
- Design Systems- Students will work on a piece by developing and refining it using graphic design software.
- Layout Design- This course usually involves using Adobe InDesign software. Students learn to make dynamic layouts by using typography and images with layout planning, software, and creative design.
Graphic Design Job Description
A graphic designer uses computer software programs to convey ideas that captivate customers and direct attention to a business or company. They use images, words, colors, and logos to represent a business or idea through advertisements and on the web.
Graphic Design Salary
The median salary of a graphic designer is $43,500 annually, which is around $20.92 an hour according to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics.